SpecifiedBy is a search and comparison marketplace for construction products and materials – helping hundreds of thousands of architects and other construction professionals to make faster, better specification decisions each year.
Our mission is twofold:
To make the process of finding, researching, comparing and pricing construction products as simple as buying consumer goods online – allowing architects and specifiers to focus on creating amazing buildings.
To help construction product companies to reach and influence architects and specifiers faster, cheaper and more efficiently than through traditional marketing channels such as trade shows and magazines. This is the side of the marketplace this role is concerned with.
In a nutshell, your job as a Sales Development Rep will be to create qualified sales opportunities for our account managers to close.
This roughly breaks down into three core responsibilities:
Research – Identifying, researching and building a database of leads and contacts which fit with our ideal customer profile, or particular sales campaigns.
Qualification – Opening up communication with these companies to qualify their needs and fit for SpecifiedBy using a mixture of modern cold email / calling processes.
Booking Demos – Convert qualified leads into sales opportunities for our sales managers by booking and scheduling online demos with potential customers, against predefined targets.
This role has the prospect of moving to become a ‘closing’ sales role within the next 12 months if you wish to progress in that direction.
Ideally we’d prefer someone based in Edinburgh or Newcastle, but will consider a remote position for the right person on the basis that you are happy to be ‘on-site’ for training.
We’re looking for a smart, results driven person, ideally with some previous outbound sales experience (but not essential), to work alongside our existing account managers.
To do this job, you essentially need to be able to demonstrate three core skills:
Be a great writer – email is our main form of communication. You need to be able to compose a great subject lines and emails, which catch a prospects attention and prompts action.
Be confident and polite on the phone – you will be regularly phoning a mixture of cold and warm prospects. People need to warm to you quickly and be happy to answer your questions.
Be organised and persistent – following up persistently with good leads is key to the role, and making sure you and the teams’ CRM system is meticulously organised will be key to that.
Beyond that, the following would be a big bonus:
- Previous experience in a Sales or Business Development role, or more generally in Outbound Sales
- Have a hands-on, proactive attitude
- Ability to learn quickly, adapt to change
- Technically / digitally savvy
- Previous experience selling B2B subscription products
- Experience working at a start up
- Desire to continually learn more about your craft (sales)
- Experience with a modern CRM system (we use Hubspot CRM)
- Meticulous attention to detail
Why Join SpecifiedBy?
We’re a small team of 7, working on solving big challenges, in a big industry with digital technology. You’ll be joining the company during a key period of growth, with the opportunity to play a significant role in the SpecifiedBy story.
We also offer:
- A significant professional growth opportunity in terms of skills development & responsibility
- Competitive salary & performance based bonus package
- Support to ensure you are improving every week
- Access to the Edinburgh and Newcastle technology startup scenes, successful entrepreneurs and mentors
- A hard-working but fun, open environment
If this sounds like a role you can thrive in, please email your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about your favourite TV show and why we should watch it too (so we can get a sense of your writing).